Monday, August 6, 2007

DareToBeDifferent

I do most of the grocery shopping at our household. It is not that I am being a super husband or purely altruistic in my pursuance of the household maintenance. I find shopping to be somewhat therapeutic in nature. In addition, it appeals to my marketing curiosity. Where else can you see a plethora of new products and marketing appeals all in one place at the same time.

As I steadily slog through the aisles, I am constantly amazed to see the multitudes of products that the average grocery store carries. Just how many different types of soaps must the average family possess? Take pain relievers for example. Yesterday, I was ordered by the boss to bring home some aspirin. So I obeyed and merrily ran off to the store. There I was besieged by an awesome amount of options available. I actually measured it as 8 paces (approximately 20 feet) across and eleven shelves (I double counted just to be certain) deep.

Aspirin. Aspirin-free. Brands such as Tylenol, Advil, Ibuprofen, Moltrin. Generic versions of all of the above. Extra strength. Children’s size. Private labels. Store brands. Tablets. Capsules. Chewables. Liquid. In small packages. In large packages. Giant sized containers. Flavored. . . grape, bubble-gum, cherry . . . I would not be surprised if someone has a “Flavor of the Month” version of a pain reliever. Perhaps not hundreds of different types but it seemed like it.

As a marketer, I stood there amazed for what appeared to me as hours (and probably likewise to the customers trying to get around me). I can image the typical consumer faced with the decision to buy a pain relieving medicine. The analogy came to my mind of a mule equidistant between two bales of hay starving to death due to his inability to make a decision.

This mega-choice opportunity of anything and everything may be great for the consumer but for the producer there is little long-term advantage in being of one hundreds in the same category. Being a “me too” product is no fun for the company and very little comfort for the stockholders.

Dare to be different. Stand out among the crowd. Seth Godin in his new book “Purple Cow” elaborates upon this dilemma faced by too many in today’s marketplace. On a cross-country trip, you point out the brown cows to the kids the first time you see them, the second time, and perhaps even the third time. By the tenth time the cows begin looking alike (like they are) and begin to blend into the environment. After a short while, only if one were to stop traffic or create a collision with your vehicle would you notice it. But a Purple Cow! Ahh. Now that you will remember and will talk about for the rest of the trip and then some. A purple cow stands out.

Producers need to take to heart the story of the Purple Cow. What would you rather be, one product among many in 100-200 square feet of shelf space or a brand that sands our crying “Try Me.” “Buy Me.” As a marketer you would like to be the latter. As the classic song in the famous musical “Gypsy” goes, “You’ve got to have a Gimmick.” You’ve got to stand out above the large (and getting larger each day) crowd.

How? “New and improved” won’t do it anymore; it has become a cliché. Our senses have been deadened by the infamous phrase ”Special.” “Free” has become a turn-off as we all look for the catch in any ‘free’ offer. So what works? An innovative package that is fun and functional. Different Color. Remarkable products. Creating new niches. You know you have it when people stop in the tracks and stare. Now you’ve got their attention.

Dare to be different. Stand out from the Crowd. It might be the only way you will be noticed.

No comments: